Tuesday 28 November 2017

Rwandan Samuel Mugisha riding in honour of his late mother

http://ift.tt/2BvfRyD

On the eve of the 2017 Tour of Rwanda, 19-year-old Samuel Mugisha lost his mother in a tragic traffic incident. While the Dimension Data for Qhubeka rider could have been excused from lining out at his national tour, Mugisha pinned on his race numbers in memory and honour of his late mother.

Late last month, Mugisha won the longest race of the 2017 Rwanda Cycling Cup, 180-kilometres from Nyanza to Rubavu, dedicating his victory to his mother who "always encouraged me to ride my bike and work hard" he said at the time.

With Dimension Data for Qhubeka's dual threat of Joseph Areruya and Metkel Eyob for the Tour of Rwanda, the duo would finish one-two overall, Mugisha's role in the race was to support his teammates.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

Born in the western province town of Mukamira in Rwanda, Mugisha rose to prominence at the 2016 edition of his national race with victory in the king of the mountains classification. Having claimed the Rwanda Cup win, Mugisha explained to Cyclingnews his role at the national tour was to support his teammates and continue to honour the memory of his mother.

"I feel strong and I feel good to help my teammates. Sometimes in cycling you feel shit or good but we are ready to help Joseph win here," said Mugisha, whose skinny frame hints at his potential in the mountains.

"Two months ago I lost my mum who was helping me with everything. Also when I come to this race she comes here with me. When I lose her I don't think I stop cycling. I focus on what I can do and what I can change. It is the life and I keep focused on riding hard to be a professional. I think next year can be good."

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/2zAhfPa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...