Saturday 25 February 2017

Van Avermaet: Boonen is as strong as I've seen him in years

http://ift.tt/2lb2ZEn

Greg Van Avermaet (BMC Racing) says that his compatriot and Classics rival Tom Boonen (Quick-Step Floors) is in as good a shape as he has been for years during the spring. Boonen is set to retire at the end of this season’s cobbled campaign in April, and Van Avermaet believes that the three-time Tour of Flanders winner will be a tough competitor over the coming weeks.

"It’s a long time ago that I saw Tom this good in the spring," Van Avermaet said in a press conference ahead of Saturday’s Omloop Het Nieuwsblad.  "Last year, he was good at the Worlds, but for spring it has been a while since he was this good this early. I think he will be there. He’s really motivated for his last year, and I think he wants to make the best of it. It’s only about 40 days to go, so it’s getting a little closer."

In Belgium, the attention is very much on Boonen during this Classics campaign, but that will not bother Van Avermaet as the two begin their stint on the cobbles over the weekend at Omloop Het Nieuwsblad and Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne. After years of being the nearly-man, it was this weekend last year that things really started coming together for the Belgian. He had won some big races before, but last year was like no.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

Van Avermaet has always been a rider at peace with himself, never brash or full of bravado, and it is the same this weekend. The 31-year-old is relaxed as he goes into the race to defend his title with the number one on his back.

"I like to have the number one," he said. "I’m proud to have won the race before. It gives me extra motivation because you know that you won the race against all the other contenders. For me, it doesn’t give me any extra pressure.

"I think it was one of my nicest victories. Also, it started with this and it was the start of a really nice year.

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/2lVj9Gm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...