Friday 24 February 2017

Luke Rowe: I’ve cards to play in the Classics

http://ift.tt/2l86Wtj

The form is where it should be, the morale topped up after ending a long spell without a win; Luke Rowe is relishing the chance to impress on the opening weekend of the Belgian Classics.

Rowe, 26, will spearhead Team Sky’s challenge alongside Ian Stannard in both Omloop Het Nieuwsblad and Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne. According the Welshman he has cards to play throughout the Spring as the British team search for their first Cobbled Monument.

“The form is pretty good. I’ve been back in Europe for over two weeks now and I’ve had one easy week before having one good week of training with a good few blocks. I’ve rested up this week so that I’m fresh for the weekend,” Rowe told Cyclingnews from Team Sky’s Kortrijk base in Belgium.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

“I’m targeting the weekend but I’m fully focused on Saturday and not really thinking about Sunday. As soon as we get Saturday out of the way I’ll fully focus on Sunday. It’s too early think about Kuurne, and we just want to take it one day at a time.”

Despite having not yet won either Paris-Roubaix or the Tour of Flanders since their 2010 inception Team Sky have had a successful run in both Omloop Het Nieuwsblad and Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne with Stannard winning the former in both 2014 and 2015. Rowe finished fourth in last year’s edition of the race and backed that up with an impressive fifth place in the Tour of Flanders.

“We’ve got Stannard who has won the race twice and is in really good form but I’ve got my own role to play. I’ve got a free role to play and I finished fourth last year, eighth the year before and 11th the year before that, so I’ve been there or thereabouts. I’ve got my own cards to play,” he pointed out.

Peter Sagan’s strike rate

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/2lhWi45

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...