Monday 31 October 2016

The Deliveroo diaries: ride undercover with our new columnist

http://ift.tt/2dWijpu

Saturday nights in the town centre can get raucous. I’m on my way back from a delivery. A drunk couple staggers towards me in the middle of the road. They sound Geordie to me, but they’re wearing jackets and it’s not that cold tonight, so maybe I’m wrong.

The guy suddenly lunges at me unprovoked, throws a waist-high kick at me, and shouts "YOU COULDN’T!"

Well, I think that’s what he shouts. Perhaps, with his accent and his being drunk, I’ve misheard. Anyway his kick misses wildly. Even a modest aim was higher than his ability. 'As in most of your life, mate,' I think to myself. 

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

"Lee, don’t do that!", laughs the woman with him, as if amused by a mischievous child dropping a sweet wrapper. 

A variety of revenge scenarios go through my mind. But I just smile, say nothing, cycle on. 

They were lucky they encountered me, and not Dmitry, the Mad Russian. Three riders in our city battle for top place in the weekly stats. 

The eight o’clock rush. My restaurant pickup is back where I nearly got kicked, but there’s no sign of the drunks, just lots of lively pubgoers

You can read more at BikeRadar.com



via BikeRadar All the latest from BikeRadar.com http://ift.tt/2esP4an

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...