Friday 29 April 2016

Mareczko eyes under-23 world title in Qatar

http://ift.tt/1VX5hre

After celebrating a stage victory at the Presidential Tour of Turkey on Thursday, Jakub “Kuba” Mareczko of the Southeast team will celebrate his 22nd birthday on the penultimate day of the Turkish national Tour this Saturday in Marmaris.

Mareczko was born in Jaroslaw, Poland but moved to Italy as a boy when his mother remarried. He now has an Italian passport and lives near Brescia. His young age means he is eligible for the Under 23 World Championship road race in Doha, Qatar, on October 13.

“If the Italian Federation call me for the race, I’ll be more than happy to go”, Mareczko told Cyclingnews when asked about possible selection. “I just want to know it in advance because it requires good preparation, preferably an altitude training camp and it would be useless to go to Livigno for a few days before travelling to Qatar. I have already spoken with the Federation and we’ve agreed to talk about it again at the end of the Giro d’Italia.”

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

The talented young sprinter will tackle his first Grand Tour next week when the Giro d’Italia starts in Apeldoorn in the Netherlands, on May 6.

“I’d like to get some good result there too”, said the only rider to have won won one race every month this season -at Tour de San Luis in January, Le Tour de Langkawi in February, the Settimana Coppi&Bartali in March and most recently stage 5 of the Presidential Tour of Turkey.

“I’d be happy with a podium finish at the Giro d’Italia. I don’t want to ask for too much for my debut in a Grand Tour. All the WorldTour teams will be there, so the level of racing will be higher and I don’t know exactly how my condition is after I had a throat inflammation in Belgium.”

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/1UlTqBg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...