Sunday 31 May 2015

News shorts: König finishes sixth overall at Giro, Coledan fined by jury

http://ift.tt/1HYQIMM

König laments early crash

Leopold König had to pick up the baton for Team Sky in the final week of the Giro d’Italia, after his team leader Richie Porte headed home following a disastrous opening two weeks. The Czech rider did admirably, taking his best Grand Tour victory to date with sixth overall. However, he felt like he could have done more had he not got entangled in the big pile-up on stage 13 to Jesolo.

"Now I regret the crash which has probably cost me a top five. That's how things are," he said in a television interview following stage 20. "In the end, to be sixth as a domestique for Richie is not that bad. It's going to be my best Grand Tour result and my first time at the Giro.”

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

König lost two minutes in the overall classification in the stage 13 crash, which was the beginning of the end for Porte’s Giro ambitions as he sustained a knee injury. A strong time trial performance the following day catapulted him back into the top 10, and he continued to claw his way up the general classification throughout the next five stages. Despite the hint of disappointment, König says he can take a lot of confidence from his result.

“I'm just happy that the Giro is a race for me. I was a little bit worried that it's too early and my early form is not that good. I think I've proved myself as a Grand Tour contender. To start three Grand Tours and finish them nine, seven and six is not bad I think.”

Coledan fined for waiting at the line

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/1M1SKuh

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...