Friday 29 May 2015

Giro d'Italia: Hesjedal left disappointed after near stage win in Cervinia

http://ift.tt/1LSJGXR

Ryder Hesjedal (Cannondale-Garmin) was more disappointed with his race tactics than his result on the stage 19 mountain finish to Cervinia at the Giro d’Italia on Friday.

The 2012 overall winner went on the attack in search of a stage victory but was foiled yet again. This time Fabio Aru (Astana) grabbed the glory and the stage victory, with Hesjedal finishing 28 seconds behind in second place.

Hesjedal admitted he was not feeling great but his racing instinct again took over and he attacked alone on the road to Cervinia with eight kilometres to go. Aru jumped across to him and then attacked him, going clear to win.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

“I think I messed up, I shouldn’t have tried to stay with Aru when he accelerated,” a bearded Hesjedal said after coming out of anti-doping.

“That completely exploded me, where as if I didn’t go into the red, I think I could have got on terms with him and tried my chance in the sprint against him. It’s a little frustrating.”

As a former Giro d’Italia winner, Hesjedal is not interested in fighting for a place in the top 10; his attacks have been in search of a stage victory. Moving up to seventh overall, 12:05 down on Contador and only 1:58 from fifth place, is the silver lining to his aggressive racing and of little consolation.

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/1Qgjl7l

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...