Thursday 28 May 2015

Gilbert savours his solo victory at the Giro d’Italia

http://ift.tt/1Ja6TFN

Philippe Gilbert and his BMC team were left disappointed and frustrated after missing out on victory in Lugano but true to character, the Belgian bounced back, went on the attack again on the road to Verbania during stage 18 of the Giro d'Italia and savoured the emotions of winning alone in the lakeside town.

Gilbert made sure he was in the break of the day and then paced his effort on the twisting slopes of Monte Ologno before attacking the break and diving down the descent.

“It’s the first time I’ve even finished a hilly stage so early and been able to see the other riders and the race leader finish behind me on television,” he said clearly enjoying his second victory in this year’s Giro d’Italia after his earlier win in the rain in Vicenza.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

“This was one of best victories because in the end I had time to enjoy it. I heard from Valerio Piva on the radio that I had a minute on the chasers and so I knew it was won. Yesterday our team manager Jim Ochowicz said he could see I was in good form. He’s never one to make easy compliments and now I think I’ve shown he was right."

Gilbert knew that he would have to get in the break of the day if he wanted a chance of victory.

“We said this morning that the entire team apart from Caruso could go for the the breakaway; we knew it was a stage when the break might make it. Everyone tried but then I and Moinard got in the move then went clear.

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/1G4FTbS

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...