Monday 14 January 2019

Michael Woods: Tour Down Under is one for the climbers this year

http://bit.ly/2M7kmVE

"No," answers Michael Woods, before bursting out laughing when Cyclingnews asks the Canadian climber if he knows what to expect at this year's Tour Down Under.

"When I first came here in 2016, I was a total neo pro, and in retrospect I lucked out big time in the lead-outs," admits Woods. "I had Simon Clarke helping me out quite a bit, who's a really experienced guy, but despite his vast knowledge, I just kind of 'lucked' into the positions that I ended up being in.

"On the Corkscrew that same year, I was fifth wheel going into the climb, and even on Willunga Hill I did an OK job, and my legs were great – so I had a great race.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

"The following year, I came here with all this excitement towards the race because I felt like I'd done better training, and I'd had a year of WorldTour racing under my belt, but then I completely messed it all up, and finished every stage with my tail between my legs," he says. "I'd talked a big game before the race, and ended up just, like, totally crap."

Having skipped last year's race, Woods is back again this year, as is the Corkscrew, on stage 4, and Willunga Hill, which has been moved from the penultimate stage to the final stage – stage 6 – in the hope that the overall result will go right down to the wire.

"By virtue of stage 3 [from Lobethal to Uraidla] also being so hard, I think this year's race is going to suit the climbers a bit more than in years past," he tells Cyclingnews.

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest Interviews and Features http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/michael-woods-tour-down-under-is-one-for-the-climbers-this-year

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...