Friday 27 November 2015

Mixed messages from Astana over Nibali's 2016 goals

http://ift.tt/1NdfC8s

Vincenzo Nibali batted away questions about his Grand Tour goals for 2016 during Astana’s first press conference of the winter at their get together in Tuscany, claiming his race programme is still to be decided. However, team manager Alexandre Vinokourov quickly put an end to any risk of a power struggle over team leadership by confirming that Nibali will target the Giro d’Italia and Fabio Aru will be team leader at the Tour de France.

Nibali wants to target the road race at the Rio Olympic Games next summer and so could ride the Tour de France alongside Aru. He seems torn between which goal to focus on.

“I’ve never confirmed my goals and I don’t understand all the questions about my race programme,” he said when asked about the Giro d’Italia. “For sure the decision will be made by the team, not only considering personal objectives. I don’t deny I like the Giro and the Tour routes, so I’d like to be at by best for both of them. The team will indicate if I ride one or two Grand Tours before the Olympics. We haven’t decided anything yet.”

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

However, Vinokourov made it clear that the Sicilian will not be team leader in July when speaking to Cyclingnews and Het Laaste Nieuws.

“It’s already decided. We’ll talk more during the training camp in Calpe but things are clear: Vincenzo will be for the Giro and Aru for the Tour," he said.

"I think Vincenzo could also ride the Tour. I think Fabio’s got to ride the Tour to see how good he is and how far he can go. We’ll decide our final strategy after the Giro. It depends if he [Nibali] wins it. But for now it’s Vincenzo for the Giro and Fabio for the Tour. For now things are clear but of course they could change during the race.”

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/1QLlBrY

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...