Saturday 28 November 2015

Lyne Bessette: New documentary highlights Canadian’s successful, clean cycling career

http://ift.tt/1Xz8Lff

A new documentary that highlights the outstanding cycling career of Canadian Olympian Lyne Bessette, who is a strong advocate of clean sports, was released Thursday evening on RDS, a French-language channel owned by CTV Specialty Television in Canada – and it was a success.

The one-hour episode, split into five parts, also aired at the National Training Centre in Bromont, Quebec, where more than 70 people including Bessette’s close friends and family were there to watch. Bessette interacted with the audience and took the time to answer questions about her cycling career.

“It was really cool. People loved it,” Bessette told Cyclingnews. “I’m most proud of what came after the documentary because I’ve been getting so many nice messages from it. I realize that what I did and the hard work that I put in paid off. My goal was to touch the crowd, but it’s also for the kids. I hope that people can look up to the things that I have done, and say ‘hey, it’s possible to do it.”

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

The documentary tells the story of a dedicated and decorated cyclist, Bessette, who chose to compete in professional road cycling clean during her career of roughly 11 years from 1995 until 2006. During that time, her accomplishments included national titles in the road race and time trial, and victories on the US circuit at the Redlands Bicycle Classic, Women’s Challenge, Tour of Willamette, Tour de Toona, Nature Valley Grand Prix, Fitchburg Longsjo Classic and Sea Otter Classic.

But it was her international success that made her a high-profile figure in the sport of cycling, with overall wins at the Tour de l’Aude and Tour de Suisse Feminine, and podium finishes at Fleche Wallonne World Cup and the Montreal World Cup. She was also a two-time member of the Canadian Olympic team in Sydney in 2000 and Athens in 2004.

Bessette retired from professional road racing mid-2006 citing a fear of crashing, being uncomfortable in the peloton on the road, and not finding the right team atmosphere. “One day I sat on a bench and said, ‘I can’t keep going anymore.’ The stress and the fear were just too strong for me. I didn’t feel good on a team, it was not a good situation, and so I left,” Bessette said.

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/1YAeC6r

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...