Tuesday 30 June 2015

Sørensen, Marczynski win titles in topsy-turvy championship weekend

http://ift.tt/1U3CGxj

Tinkoff-Saxo's Chris Anker Sørensen made up for more than a year of misfortune with a well-timed uphill sprint in Rønde, Denmark to claim his national road race championship, beating Cult Energy's Martin Mortensen to the line, with Alexander Kemp Egested (Team Coloquick) taking third.

“It’s amazing, I’m very, very happy," Sørensen said. "I didn’t believe that this would ever happen so I’m very touched by the fact that it did. This national championship comes after one and a half year, where things have been difficult for me with a couple of costly crashes. It has been an uphill battle and I nearly lost hope that things would turn around. But I guess that today stands testimony to the fact that you should never give up and keep working hard.

“We were only four guys from Tinkoff-Saxo and we rode together to ensure that one of us could win. It was very difficult and it was a hard-fought win but I have to thank my teammates that rode fantastically well, and I also have to thank our sports director Lars Michaelsen, who was just behind me in the team car, when I broke loose with Martin Mortensen on the final five kilometers. Without him I would probably have spent much of my energy pulling at the front, but he advised me to sit on Mortensen’s wheel and keep cool as Valgren was in the group behind.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

“I arrived at the final uphill sprint in Rønde with Mortensen, I’ve known him for many years and I know that he’s quick but somehow I had it in me to beat him on the very last meters. It’s a big confidence booster to take this championship and I am very excited about the prospect of racing and riding in the Danish champions jersey for the next year."

Chris Anker Sorensen crosses the line

Tomasz Marczynski wins Polish men road race

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/1U3Cy0J

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...