Thursday 26 February 2015

Pieters downplays chances for Omloop Het Niuewsblad repeat

http://ift.tt/1Dw49ia



Last year’s women's Omloop Het Niuewsblad winner Amy Pieters has played down her chances of a repeat success on Saturday.


Last year the Liv-Plantur team, then Giant-Shimano, played a perfect tactical race, with Kirsten Wild in the bunch ensuring that Pieters had the upper hand in the breakaway.


This year, though, with Wild and fellow teammate Lucy Garner absent, and with Pieters not having the same form of this time last year, expectations have been lowered.


ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement


"Last year was just perfect for us," she told Cyclingnews. "This year it will be more difficult. I don't expect as much but hopefully I can do a good race, be in the first group, and maybe get a podium spot. But I know that to win this race is going to be really hard."


Whereas last year she went into the race on the back of a stage win and second overall at the Tour of Qatar, this year has been a slower start to the season, but that, she says, is all part of the plan.


"Qatar was okay. My shape was okay, not super, but I was happy with it. Last year I was already in really good shape at the beginning of the year. It was actually too early because when all the races started I was already over it, so I hope for this year that I can be in good shape later, and when the World Cups and all the other big races are coming up that I can also get some good results."


You can read more at Cyclingnews.com






via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/1AdpsjY

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...