Thursday 26 February 2015

Adrien Costa striving to be part of American elite

http://ift.tt/1ap0glO



At 17, Adrien Costa is the American junior time trial champion and silver medallist in the same discipline at the World Championships last year. Unlike most people his age, he’s firmly focused on chasing his dream job of becoming a professional cyclist and hoping it will become a reality in the next few years.


His upward trajectory thus far indicates that he might be following in the footsteps of previous US junior time trial medallists such as Lawson Craddock and Ian Boswell. USA cycling has enjoyed a rich crop of talent coming through in recent years through Taylor Phinney, Tejay van Garderen and Andrew Talansky to name but a few.


Asked if he’d like to be part of that generation some time, he tells Cyclingnews, “The new wave of talented American cyclists that have risen through the ranks, many through similar programs that I am currently working with, has been extremely motivating and exciting to follow as a young American racer. However, I don't think I can say I am part of that new wave, because I have not yet reached the level of successes on the professional international level as those names. That doesn't mean I am not striving to be part of it one day.”


ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement


Although only a first year in the junior ranks, he lost out on the gold medal in the World Championships in Ponferrada, Spain, by only 44 seconds. With the event being held on US soil this season, Costa, who will ride domestically for California-Giant this season, immediately lists going for gold as one of his objectives.


“This season will be focused heavily on the time trial at the Worlds. With it being in the US, I have to realize that this is an opportunity of a lifetime to not only race but shoot for a result in your home country with all its fans behind you.


“That being said, I still have other races I'd like to do well at, such as various Nations' Cups or domestic NRC races that I think are logical to target with a view on development and jumping up into the amateurs next year. Additionally, anytime I show up to a race, I'm aiming for a good result for myself or for the team, so if I'm able to set up teammates for results throughout the season, that will only add to my season's success,” a visibly focused Costa says.


You can read more at Cyclingnews.com






via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/1BgNNej

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...