Tuesday 29 July 2014

JENS’ BLOG: My (Most Definitely Very) Last Tour de France

http://ift.tt/1nY5l7u




After 17 Tours, Jens finally listens to his legs—and looks back on how far he’s come. - By Jens Voigt


Photo: James Startt

Photo: James Startt



Well that’s it! I’ve just finished my most definitely very last Tour de France. And this time, there is no “very probably maybe!” I’ve just finished my 17th and last Tour.


You know, throughout the race people kept asking me, sometimes jokingly, sometimes seriously, “Come on Jens! This can’t be the last!” And even for me there were still some of those “I could do this forever” moments. But my friends, they were much fewer and far between. In the last couple of years, it has gotten much harder for me to recuperate. And basically it was a lot harder for me to do what I want to do in the race. It was more difficult to make the breaks and most days I just couldn’t! And when I did get in a move it was clear to me that I was not the strongest. So basically I was only good enough to ride in the pack. And being pack fodder just doesn’t interest me.


At the beginning of this year I had a sort of conference call with my body. And my body pretty much told me, “Okay Jens, we will give you one more year of this bike racing thing. We will make sure that you can still compete, but it is non-renewable and non-negotiable.” And that is pretty much what happened. I had the legs to get into shape for one more Tour. But it is quite clear to me that I can’t do it again.


Some people say to me, “But just one more year and you will be the all-time record holder with 18 Tours de France. I say, “You know I don’t have to be alone at the top. I’m happy being the co-record holder, especially when it is with my longtime friend and teammate, Stuey O’Grady.” So basically I’m good with where I am at!


When I look back on how hard it was for me to make the moves this year, it makes me realize just how good I was in my prime. When I see guys making the breaks today I realize how impressive it is. And it makes me think, “Boy, some guys must have really hated me for making the racing so hard for so many years!”


It wasn’t that long ago that I was still capable of making the others hurt, just a couple of years really. But I wasn’t that rider this year and so I just have to be honest with myself and respect that conference call I had with my body back in January.


But I am also glad that I did what I had to do to make one more Tour team. I’m really proud of the fact that, every year since I have been on a Tour de France-qualifying team, I have able to make the cut and be here at the Tour. I’m very proud to have been good enough to compete, year in and year out, in the Super Bowl of cycling!


Read all of Jens’ blogs

Now in his 16th year as a professional, Jens Voigt has earned a reputation as one of the sport’s hard men, both among fans and his fellow riders. And the only thing Jens likes as much as riding his bike is talking about it. And that’s good for us.






via Bicycling » Tour de France http://ift.tt/1xukLlg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...