Saturday 8 December 2018

Trentin: I want to get back to where I deserve to be

https://ift.tt/2RLwiyi

Matteo Trentin looks back at the 2018 season with a contrasting sense of suffering and of celebration, remembering the pain and disappointment of a cracked rib and then a far more serious vertebral fracture at Paris-Roubaix, but also the joy of winning the European road race title in Glasgow and so wearing the distinctive blue, white and gold.

The two emotional extremes have cancelled each other out, leaving the pragmatic Italian from the northern Trento region hungry to confirm his status as a true Classics contender in 2019.

"I want to get back to where I deserve to be and where my career trajectory was sending me," 28-year-old Trentin tells Cyclingnews.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

"For sure the first part of my 2018 season was, well, pretty crap... I was up there in Gent-Wevelgem, I was up there in E3-Harelbeke but my cracked rib in training left me one step behind everyone else. In professional cycling if you’re not at 100 per cent of your ability, you’re going to get found out; 95 per cent and a good day isn’t enough to win anymore.

"Fortunately things came around when I won the European title plus a final win at the Tour of Guangxi in China. It meant I ended the season on a high and made me optimistic for 2019."

Showing his stoicism

After six seasons at Quick-Step Floors, starting as a neo-pro in 2012, Trentin was head hunted by Mitchelton-Scott to lead their Classics hopes in 2018.

Creating a cycling masterpiece in Glasgow

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest Interviews and Features http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/trentin-i-want-to-get-back-to-where-i-deserve-to-be

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...