Tuesday 29 March 2016

Landa puts doubts to bed after finally starting his season

http://ift.tt/1RpVDtI

After a series of setbacks, Mikel Landa finally made his long-awaited start to the season last week at the Settimana Internazionale Coppi e Bartali, marking an important step on the road to the Giro d'Italia.

The Spaniard has had a string of false starts this year, sidestepping the Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana to work on his time trialliing before being ruled out of the Ruta del Sol through illness and being left out of the Team Sky squad for Tirreno-Adriatico. With other top names already accruing race days and victories, Landa admits the situation was weighing on his mind and, though he was 11th overall and some way off his best shape at the four-stage race, he was simply relieved to get back into the flow of competition, put the doubts to bed, and enable himself to look forward to the Giro in May.

"I hadn't raced in a long time. The truth is that I went in with no objective. I went in with quite a few doubts that were holding me back, but returning to competition makes you forget about everything and you see your true level," he said after the race. "All sportspeople want to compete and the challenge I have ahead of me is something that motivates me. Not being able to enjoy it and tackle it was generating more stress for me.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

"My sensations were good. When the race became complicated I was there, so I've come away happy. Doing the race has given me a lot of confidence, although given the circumstances I went into it without any real aim – just to enjoy it, to feel like a racer once again. That's the important thing, and I think I managed it. Now I can think about the Giro with more confidence than before."

Next up for Landa is the GP Miguel Indurain on Saturday, followed by a much stiffer test and a much more important week of racing at the Vuelta al País Vasco, where the caliber of riders will be a couple of notches up from last week.

The 26-year-old won a stage on home soil last year and credits that with kickstarting a run of form that saw him shine so brightly at the Giro d'Italia. A repeat of that would be the dream scenario, given that his current progress rules out any real chance of a general classification bid.

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/22ZSbdh

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...