Friday 29 March 2019

Naesen: In my head I've won Flanders a thousand times

https://ift.tt/2Wvqpr2

There's a strand of sports psychology that advocates for visualising yourself in action as a means of preparation for a big event. Pioneered by Richard Suinn in the 1970s, studies have shown the benefits of this 'imagery rehearsal' can even be physical as well as mental. If that's anything to go by, Oliver Naesen (AG2R La Mondiale) will have something of an advantage when it comes to the Tour of Flanders next Sunday and the other cobbled Classics.

"In my head I've already won Flanders a thousand times,” he says on the eve of his 2019 Classics campaign on home roads, which starts with the E3 BinckBank Classic on Friday.

"It's only in reality that I haven't won it. In my dreams I've won it, and I see scenarios where I will win it, which doesn't mean I'm going to win it, but I know more or less how it will feel. It kind of prepares you for the real-life situation.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

"When you're training on those roads, or riding alone and seeing yourself alone in front, or even when you're just at home sitting on the sofa, you're thinking, 'What will it be like to win the Tour of Flanders?' I know it sounds ridiculous, but that's how it is."

Naesen's dreams are no doubt shared by many young Belgian kids but, in explaining how much Flanders means to him, Naesen shows himself to be a true romantic. He effortlessly conveys the passion for cycling in this part of the world, and the fever that grips it for a couple of weeks each spring. When he speaks with such enthusiasm, you can't help but also feel excited for the races ahead.

"For us, this is what we grew up with. It's the stuff of dreams. Everyone watches it and talks about it. This period of the season controls the life of the average Flemish person, so it's very important. It's almost religious," he says.

Form

Taking on Deceuninck-QuickStep

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest Interviews and Features http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/naesen-in-my-head-ive-won-flanders-a-thousand-times

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...