Wednesday 20 February 2019

Bauhaus and Sieberg unite at Bahrain-Merida

https://ift.tt/2TVY1xj

The 2018/19 transfer market saw Bahrain-Merida splash out on both a new sprinter in Phil Bauhaus and a veteran member of Andre Greipel's old lead-out train, Marcel Sieberg.

Both Bauhaus and Sieberg have different points to prove after difficult periods during last season, but at the Tour Down Under in January, Cyclingnews sat down with the two riders to talk about last year, their working relationship, the past, and how they envisage racing together this year on their new team.

Cyclingnews: Phil, can you share some of the details in terms of how you arrived at Bahrain-Merida from Team Sunweb?

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

Phil Bauhaus: There was the opportunity to sign me and the team was also looking for a rider who could support me in the finals. They made contact with Marcel, and he was also a situation whereby he didn’t know what was happening with him and Andre [Greipel].

Marcel Sieberg: We have the same manager – Christian Baumer – and he asked me in March about joining Phil at Bahrain. For me, it was too early, after 11 years with Andre, to say yes in March. Andre wasn’t sure what he wanted – if wanted to go or stay at Lotto. Then, at the German national championships, I had another talk with Brent [Copeland, Bahrain manager] on the phone and I said yes. Phil lives two kilometres from my house, and my wife used to train him when he was younger, and it made sense for me to try something new. I made the decision before the Tour de France because I wanted to finalise my future.

CN: Was that a difficult situation with you and Andre, when you had tell him that you were leaving?

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest Interviews and Features http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/bauhaus-and-sieberg-unite-at-bahrain-merida

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...