Friday 10 August 2018

A new challenge: Rohan Dennis on his move to Bahrain-Merida - Q&A

https://ift.tt/2MjrUXS

As he waited for the final stage of the Tour de Pologne on Friday morning, Rohan Dennis (BMC Racing Team) discussed going for gold this September in the Worlds, the opening time trial of the Vuelta a España, and his switch to Bahrain-Merida for 2019.

Cyclingnews: On stage 6 we saw you open up the throttle on the final climbs, and it felt a bit like this was the curtain rising on your second half of the season. What was the goal there?

Rohan Dennis: It was purely for Dylan [Teuns, 2nd on GC behind Michal Kwiatkowski (Team Sky) – ed.] We were sitting there behind Sky and it was getting quite frustrating to be honest on that steep, narrow climb, it was blocked every lap. I was thinking, ‘Ach, I’m doing 300 Watts at 40kph here,’ I was literally not pedalling, we needed to do something, they [Sky] are controlling it too much.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

Max [Sciandri, directeur sportif – ed.] was holding it off and I don’t think he wanted me to do it so early, but if we did it like that, we’d just be doing the work for Sky. So I thought, ‘If someone’s going to do it, why not me?’ You can’t really sit in on that climb, and if you’re setting the pace, it’s more like you’re hurting someone else, and not having someone else hurting you. And that’s a nicer feeling, knowing you’re doing the damage.

So in a way it was a double-headed thing, it was good to do it for Dylan but also good training for me. For me this race [Pologne] isn’t a goal, but it is for him. My goals are more the TTs in the Vuelta and preparing for the Worlds.

CN: So you’re doing the Vuelta, but not for GC?

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest Interviews and Features http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/a-new-challenge-rohan-dennis-on-his-move-to-bahrain-merida-q-and-a

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...