Wednesday 2 May 2018

Ernesto Colnago's best bikes of all time - Gallery

https://ift.tt/2IaYetW

Ernesto Colnago celebrated his 86th birthday on February 9 but he has no plans to ease up, let his family control the eponymous bike business, or let his rivals get the better of him when it comes to bike design, innovation or aesthetics.

Colnago has an informed opinion of every aspect of cycling, from bike design and material technology to Chris Froome's ugly position, mechanical doping, Peter Sagan, and the future of Italian cycling. His 73 years in the industry, the way he developed from a teenage wheel builder to a professional team mechanic and then to an icon of the bike industry and major team sponsor gives him the right to speak his mind.

His wife, Vincenzina Colnago, died last summer but Ernesto's spirit remains unbroken. He still lives in the family villa across the street from the Colnago offices, where the new C64 frame is made by hand in the basement and garage area. He still runs the show from his office that overlooks the warehouse packed with frames, jerseys, and photos of the many great riders who have ridden and won on a Colnago.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

He still bangs on the table to emphasise his point of conversation or to show his anger when he believes his rivals have copied his original designs and intuitions. He still explains his design theories and list of innovations by sketching on a paper like an artist, architect or fashion designer.

"As long as I'm alive I'll be at the Colnago factory every day - they can't kick me out of my own company," he says, half joking and half serious, sending a clear message to his rivals who would perhaps like to see the back of him.

"I've always been creative, a designer, and that's what keeps me alive. I'm proud of what I've achieved during my life and what I've achieved in cycling. I think I've helped revolutionise the bike and sport."

The Colnago C64: Why eat spam when you can have caviar?

Entwined in the history of cycling

A bike has to be safe

Aru, Sagan and Froome

The Colnago museum and Ernesto's favourite bikes of all time

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest Interviews and Features http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/ernesto-colnagos-best-bikes-of-all-time-gallery

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...