Wednesday 21 March 2018

Tour de Langkawi: Minali wins stage 4 in Pekan

http://ift.tt/2u7XX5p

Riccardo Minali (Astana) became the first multiple stage winner of this year's Tour de Langkawi after taking victory from a sprint on stage 4. The Italian beat Andrea Guardini (Bardiani-CSF) and Mohd Harrif Saleh (TSG) to win the bunch sprint in Pekan.

On paper, the stage was one for the sprinters, but the coastal route on the east coast of Malaysia provided high drama. A late flier from Callum Scotson (Mitchelton-BikeExchange) was only caught in the final kilometre while seventh-placed Mekseb Debesay (Dimension Data) crashed out of the race. Adam De Vos (Rally) was kept safe and retains the yellow jersey ahead of the queen stage to Cameron Highlands.

"I had my awesome teammates looking after me, getting me drinks and ice and just riding the front all day. I didn’t have much to do today so I took it easy and tried to recover for tomorrow," De Vos said post-stage.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

Having let the breakaway survive to the line Kuala Terengganu the day before, the sprint teams of Astana and Bardiani-CSF, in particular, were keen to resume normal service. In the run to the line, it was neo-pro Minali who proved to have the quicker legs ahead of 'Mr Langkawi' Guardini.

"Today was a sprint with all the riders. There was no climb, no excuse. When I started my sprint I thought I must go the finish line full gas and I do so I am super happy," said Minali, who dedicated his win to Michele Scarponi.

At the half-way mark of the race, De Vos leads Nik Mohd Azwan Zulkiflie (Forca-Amskins) by 14 seconds with Harry Sweeny (Mitchelton-BikeExchange) third at 22 seconds. The remainder of the peloton is over one minute in arrears to De Vos ahead of the queen stage.

How it unfolded

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest Race Results http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/le-tour-de-langkawi-2018/stage-4/results

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...