Friday 28 April 2017

Kung cashes in on the cold in Tour de Romandie

http://ift.tt/2oDn90z

The second stage of the Tour de Romandie was so freezing cold, snowy and wet, that the organisers moved the start to avoid the potentially slick descent from Champéry. It was a stage only a Swiss rider could win, and it was Stefan Küng who prevailed from the day's breakaway to win the stage to Bulle.

BMC Racing's directeur sportif Fabio Baldato was thrilled to see the result from the Swiss rider, who has battled illness and injury since his neo-pro season in 2015, during which he won another stage in Romandie.

"Stefan showed great condition yesterday and we knew that today would be hard, even harder than expected because of the snow and the rain," Baldato said. "It was unbelievably difficult for the guys.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

"Stefan is used to the cold and rain and he is on home soil in Switzerland, so he was motivated and he was amazing. I'm really happy for Stefan because he has been chasing a victory like this since the beginning of the year."

After thawing out post-stage, Küng was able to look back on his struggles with a fractured vertebra and then mononucleosis in his neo-pro year and a broken collarbone and hip that kept him out of the Olympics last year, and see his progress.

"A lot things have happened and not good things," Küng said. "I had two really hard crashes with a long rehabilitation and then illness. I was always a little up and down, and I was struggling to show what I can do. I knew I could do it but I just couldn't finish it off, so it is a big relief for me to get this victory.

You can read more at Cyclingnews.com



via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/2psbO2C

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...