Chris Froome (Team Sky) stormed to victory at the Tour de France during the 17km mountain time trial from Sallanches to Megève. He finished the course in a blistering 30:43, beating Tom Dumoulin (Giant-Alpecin) by 21 seconds and Fabio Aru (Astana) by 33 seconds.
“I didn’t expect to beat Tom today,” Froome said. “I think that pacing was key today. I started off steady and really controlled that first part and then just gave it everything I had over the top and through the last part. I’m really happy with that [performance].”
Froome’s winning time trial pushed him even further into the lead of the overall classification, now positioned 3:52 ahead of Bauke Mollema (Trek-Segafredo) and 4:17 ahead of Adam Yates (Orica-BikeExchange).
The second time trial at the Tour de France was a much calmer affair compared to the stage 13 jaunt from La Caverne du Pont-d'Arc. There were no broken bones, crashes or riders being lifted off the tarmac by strong gusts of winds and blown into the rocky roadsides – this time around, it was just man versus mountain.
Stage 18 was all the talk among the overall contenders after the previous day’s summit at Finhaut-Emosson, the first day in the Alps, and as the next place for riders to gain or lose time in the overall.
It was also highly anticipated as the first mountain time trial at the Tour since l’Alpe d’Huez was used in 2004, and even though Froome picked up more time on his rivals in Finhaut, he was looking to increase his lead on the climb to Megeve. The first four kilometres were a forgivingly flat section of the course, but the route soon kicked up the Côte de Domancy and then on to the Côte de Chozeau. The riders then descended into Megeve.
Tour de France stage 18 highlights video
Dumoulin sets the benchmark to beat
You can read more at Cyclingnews.com
via Cyclingnews Latest Race Results http://ift.tt/2adcDVM
No comments:
Post a Comment