Cyclo-cross specialist Nikki Harris is making quite the splash in her first-ever season with a professional contract to compete on the road. The new Boels Dolmans rider has raced every one of the Classics since the start of the season, proving to be a natural talent, helping world champion Lizzie Armitstead to two victories and placing in the top 10 herself.
"I've never done the Classics before, it's all totally new to me," Harris told Cyclingnews. "At the same time, I've been racing a long time. I have watched the Classics on TV, and my fiancé [Matt Brammeier of Dimension Data] races the Classics, so I've watched him, and remember thinking, 'thank God I'm not there racing in the cold weather for four or five hours', but now I'm doing it myself."
Boels Dolmans offered Harris a contract that started in January, partway through the cyclo-cross season. She had a standout fall-winter in cyclo-cross, especially in the World Cup series with a win in Namur, second at Koksijde, and third in Hoogerheide. She also finished fourth at the World Championships and won the British national title.
"I think I've come out of 'cross season well," Harris said. "During the 'cross season I'm not just doing 45-minute rides. I do a lot of endurance riding during the week. I also had a good summer of training last year and that has given me a good base and confidence in knowing that I can be at the front in these road races and do my job."
Harris said she spoke with Boels Dolmans team manager Danny Stam in November and December, and they planned for her to go straight into the Classics after finishing her cyclo-cross season. She would then take a break in April.
"I finished 'cross season three weeks ago and then met the team in Alicante at the training camp," Harris said. "I had one weekend off and started the Classics last week with four races in one week.
You can read more at Cyclingnews.com
via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/22gXtkh
No comments:
Post a Comment