The future of the Tour of Oman will only be decided following this year’s seventh edition of the event, according to representatives from both the race organisation and local government.
“The government will decide after this edition of the race and it all depends on the success of the tour,” said Salim bin Mubarak Al Hassani, chairman of Oman’s Sports Activities Committee, in a press conference in Muscat on Monday afternoon. “There will be an announcement after this race.”
Race organiser Eddy Merckx told reporters that he was optimistic that the Tour of Oman, which is run with the help of ASO, would continue for another three-year term, but said that the final decision rested squarely with the Omani government.
“Everything depends on the municipality,” Merckx said. “The Minister for Tourism is very positive because cycling is the only sport that shows the whole country and that’s important for tourism.”
During the press conference, Merckx also issued a mea culpa on behalf of the race organisation for the cancellation of the penultimate stage of last year’s Tour of Oman after riders staged a protest to highlight the extreme weather conditions.
A sandstorm amid soaring temperatures caused the start location of stage 5 to be moved, and Merckx acknowledged that placing the new neutralised zone on a descent had been an error. After a number of riders punctured as a result of hard braking on the descent, the Tour of Oman peloton called for the stage to be cancelled.
You can read more at Cyclingnews.com
via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/1PzFNuh
No comments:
Post a Comment