Evelyn Stevens doesn’t want to break the current women’s UCI Hour Record, which stands at 46.882km, she wants to demolish it. Speaking with a small group of journalists in a phone conference Friday, the American did not specify a targeted distance but rather simply said, “I would like to really, really beat it. I want to set a high example.”
Stevens will make her UCI Hour Record attempt on February 27 in the Colorado Springs Olympic Training Center Velodrome. She announced her plan to do so at the beginning of February, two weeks after Australian Bridie O’Donnell set the new benchmark at the Super-Drome in Adelaide.
“I want to beat it, and I want to set a high example,” Stevens told the press. “We are going to have another training [session] tomorrow, which will give a bit more insight as to where I’m at and what will be the realistic target.”
Stevens chose to attempt the Hour Record in February for few reasons. Mainly, so that it didn’t conflict with her upcoming road season with Boels Dolmans or her stated goal of securing a spot on the US team to compete at the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro in August. In an interview with Cyclingnews, she said that 2016 was the year that she had to do everything right with regard to the Olympics. It would also give her an opportunity to improve her time trial.
“My team has been supportive and encouraging of this event,” Stevens said. “They recognise the benefits that it will bring to me and the team. Since I’m doing it on February 27, I’ll only be missing Omloop Het Nieuwsblad and the season isn’t in full swing yet. I’ll do this and then head to Europe.
“For me, February seemed to make a lot of sense [too] because it was something nice for me to target over the winter and I’m looking forward to taking this fitness and time on my time trial position into the season. I wanted to improve my flat power in my time trial position."
You can read more at Cyclingnews.com
via Cyclingnews Latest News http://ift.tt/1Lz1Kpz
No comments:
Post a Comment