Tuesday, 16 February 2016

Punctured: It’s not not about the bike

http://ift.tt/1KnkfCv

Of course it’s about the bike. Only some kind of drug-addled maniac would say it wasn’t about the bike. Because here’s the truth: you can buy speed. I don’t mean amphetamines (other drugs are available), which you probably already know is for sale as obviously you’re a drug-addled maniac. I mean actual velocity.

Buying a flashier bike can make you faster. A new bike can make you a more talented rider. Yes it can.

I know, I know. This is not what people say on the forums. Or in the muddy cafes. This is not what people etch into the skulls of their enemies and fling angrily into the sun. YOU DON’T NEED A NEW BIKE TO GO FAST ARRRGHH. I OVERTOOK SOME MOOK ON A MORE EXPENSIVE BIKE PROVING MY CHEAPER SUPERIORITY ARRRRGHH. ALL THE GEAR NO IDEAARRRGHHHHHHHH.

ADVERTISEMENT
advertisement

But, as well reasoned and not at all based on insecurity as these people’s arguments are, they’re as wrong as Marilyn Manson knocking at your door at midnight with three rubber gloves and a kilo of minced beef.

Of course, if your new and expensive bike has inferior geometry, sizing and componentry, it won’t make you faster at all. It will just make you poorer, and sadder, and uglier, and you’ll lose your job and your marriage and get so desperate you’ll go on that doomed blag as the getaway driver after all, and get shot in the kidneys by a guard, and look at what you’ve done. Look at the blood. All the gear and no idea was right! Look at what you’ve done.

Sweat-wicking hairshirts

You can read more at BikeRadar.com



via BikeRadar All the latest from BikeRadar.com http://ift.tt/1KnkhKu

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...