In a new run of features, Cyclingnews sits down with some of the sport's well-known personalities as they pick their cycling dream teams. This week it's the turn of retired British rider David Millar, whose 18-year career began with Cofidis back in 1997 and was punctuated by a doping ban from 2004-2006, after which he was a key part of the Slipstream/Garmin set-up.
The rules:
- Dream teams must feature nine riders, one of which can be the rider selecting the team. In which case they pick eight riders to join them.
- The riders picked must have all ridden with the person picking the team. That means you can’t just pick the eight or nine best riders of a generation.
Road captain: David Millar (Garmin)
My role in this team would be the one I had towards the end of my career, when I was a road captain, jack of all trades, domestique and someone who had the capability of winning if the opportunity arose. I really enjoyed that role and I took a lot out of it.
During the early part of my career, when I was seen much more as a leader, I was very hit and miss, but I became more consistent when leading in a disciplined fashion, and when I had a specific task. When I had the obligation to deliver as a leader, I didn’t really get that much out of it. When I had the duty to be ‘on it’ for the team I was much more reliable. If you left me to win for the sake of winning, to be honest with you, I couldn’t care less.
However, there was this sweet spot from 2009 to, say, 2013, when I really felt like I nailed that captain-style role. Every single race I was on it, and I had a job to do. That was when I was at my best. I enjoyed those four years because I had that job and I wasn’t just this flippant rider who was there just to race. There was more of a purpose.
You can read more at Cyclingnews.com
via Cyclingnews Latest Interviews and Features http://ift.tt/1ogpkC3
No comments:
Post a Comment